Monday, November 1, 2010

Neighborhood Pumpkin Seed Cook-Off


Pumpkin seeds with butter and salt are a thing of the past.  These days, it's all about the spice, the flare and the HEAT!  My block has been hosting an annual pumpkin seed cook-off for four years and this year was the toughest yet (with an unexpected outcome).

I am still new to cooking pumpkin seeds.  It's an art.  Last year I didn't have time to harvest my own seeds so I bought pepitas from the store (yeah, not the same).  I went with a salty/sweet combo and I was awarded the "rookie" award out of sheer pity.  So I was definitely feeling the pressure to step it up.

This year, I went with two entries (to spread the risk a little bit).  I decided to go for two areas I cook often - Italian and Asian.  Recipes below.  They were good, just not quite good enough to win.

My neighbors brought it!  Entries included Cayenne Pepper, Buffalo Wing, and a classic - Johnny's.  One of my favs was a Pumpkin Seed Brittle, which caused a big debate (is it a candy?!)... didn't matter, it was delicious (made by our neighbor, the head baker at the Dahlia Bakery). 

To the results.  As I said, there was an unexpected outcome.  Two doors down, Kerry is known for her great cooking, as the Executive Chef at Elliott Bay Brewing Co.  (She has some serious cooking chops and is a worthy competitor.)  After all the hype, she submitted "Cheesy Seeds".  The salty, cheese combo was so familiar and unexpectedly simple - we couldn't get over it.  She won hands down!  I was super impressed until she revealed her secret.... it was just a packet of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese powder!!! 

Here's to simplicity and Kraft in 2011.

___________________________________

Brea's Pumpkin Seeds 2010:

Prep:
  1. Clean pumpkin seeds
  2. Bring 6 cups of water to a boil in large pot
  3. Add 1 tbsp of salt and pumpkin seeds
  4. Boil for 10 minutes
  5. (Step I should have done)  Let pumpkin seeds dry overnight
Parmesan Thyme Seeds:
  1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees
  2. Lay seeds in one layer on cookie sheet
  3. Toast seeds for 30-40 minutes until brown, turning at least once
  4. Melt 2 tbsp butter, mix with 1 tbsp chopped thyme and 1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
  5. Spread butter mixture over seeds and continue cooking for 10 more minutes
  6. Let cool before eating
Spicy Asian Seeds:
  1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees
  2. Lay seeds in one layer on cookie sheet
  3. In pot, combine 1/3 c soy sauce, 1/3 cup Teriyaki sauce, 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp chopped garlic, 1/2 tsp grated ginger, 1/2 tsp sesame oil. Add red pepper flakes and spicy chili sauce to desired level of spice.  Heat through until reduced by 25%.
  4. Spread mixture over seeds.  Toast seeds 40-50 minutes, turning at least once
  5. Right when they come out of the oven, sprinkle with sesame seeds
  6. Let cool before eating

No comments: