Monday, January 17, 2011

Buy YOURSELF Flowers Every Week!


Simple Pleasures

My Mama always said:
"If you can, buy yourself flowers every week." 
And she did.  So I do too.

Buying myself flowers is something I've done since I bought a home more than 4 years ago.  For me, it's elegant and special. Who doesn't want to come into a home full of flowers?!  (Allergy sufferers excluded)  My mom has even trained me to plant a bouquet on my picnic table while camping!!  It's the simple pleasures.

My secrets are simple and work!  So here's how I do it with 4 easy rules -
  1. I buy my flowers at the grocery store.  I've certainly bought plenty of bouquets at local farmer's markets or Pike Place, but they never last more than a couple of days.  I have also bought them from my local florist, but they tend to cost way more than what I would pay at the grocery.  I shop at QFC, which has a great selection.  Plus, I don't really want to make another stop outside of my grocery outings... easy is good!
  2. I buy flowers that last.  Because I buy them at grocery stores, they tend to only stock flowers that are durable, like mums, because they live longer.  I always pick durable flowers that tend to last more than a week.  (Okay, so I should say buy yourself flowers bi-weekly!!)
  3. I break my flowers into multiple bouquets.  It's not rocket science, but with a little creativity, you can make those flowers go a long way!  Making multiple, small bouquets works with my small house and budget but makes it feel luxurious.
  4. Be as creative as you want!  I always vary my arrangements, vases, locations and types of flowers.  I pick the colors that inspire me as I stand in the florist section and that tend to match the season.  I sometimes create lots of small bouquets, and other times just two bigger bunches.  I'll pull in foliage from my yard (when we have some) and add color and volume up the bouquets.  Just go with whatever looks the best!  Generally, I group bunches of color and one type of flower together and vary the height.  Or I'll pick just one color and select different kinds of flowers that match.  And just remember - you get to pick something new the following week (or two).
Budget: Buying flowers is something I love, so I always make it fit in the budget.  Lately, I've been buying the Big Value packs for $9.99.  Generally, they will last me 2 full weeks.  At that rate, we'll spend $240 per year.  To me, that's the best deal out there!  For less than $250 I can have fresh flowers in my house all the time!!!  Cha-ching.

Making Flower Arrangements

The Big Value Bunch for $9.99 at QFC... Just watch!

This week, I selected pink small mums, yellow daises and white/pink alstroemeria

Step 1

I like to cut open the package up the seam vertically.  I lay them out and figure out how I'd like to bunch them.  This week, I've decided I want to do one big bouquet (with mixed flowers), and two small bouquets (of matching flowers). 


Step 2

Pick your vases.  I have this white vase that I love and only needs a few stems to look full (due to the small opening).  Sometimes I use drink pitchers or mason jars or anything I can find that catches my eye around my house (nothing is safe!). 

Tip - if you are using a short vase, you can use scotch tape to create a grid pattern on the top to hold short-stemmed flowers from falling in.


Step 3
I learned this technique while watching the Martha Stewart and my farmer's market florist. 

It's really easy to make great looking bouquets.  Start with the biggest (showiest) flowers first.  Hold them in your left hand and strip off all of the leaves or shoots that will ultimately fall below the water line in the vase.  Then, start to fill in the other flowers, holding the bouquet below your eyesight, so you can see it from the top and sides.  Make the center of the bouquet higher than the outsides, creating a dome shape.  When you like the look, eyeball the height relative to the vase you have.  Cut all of the stems at once in a straight line.  Test them in the vase and cut until they sit as you want.  Ensure there are no leaves touching the water so as not to spoil.  Voila!


Fin
Now all you need to do is admire your work!  This week, I used a few willow branches I had left over from a professional bouquet I received a few months ago to add a little drama to my main bouquet.  By putting them in high-traffic areas in my house, I always get to see them when I arrive and leave. 

Centerpiece of my coffee table this week - Hello Daisy!
My small table with two bouquets feels intimate
What will you create this week?

6 comments:

Heather said...

I love this. Cheap, easy, no extra trip required! New (late) new years resolution. But for me - maybe I'll try once a month! Thanks for the tips!

Jo Blue Voss said...

LOVE this! You have inspired me to add flowers to my grocery list!

Brea said...

So glad you laides are adding this to your list. SO easy and a wonderful way to do something that feels like a luxury!! You deserve it!

SUNIL BABU.V said...

Useful and informative post

SUNIL BABU.V said...

Useful and informative post

SUNIL BABU.V said...

Useful and informative post