Monday, November 29, 2010

No Thanksgiving Post?!

The biggest event for a new homemaker is her first Thanksgiving.  I watched Facebook diligently reading all about my fellow Newly-Nesters prepping their birds, sides and desserts.  I was looking forward to hosting my very first Thanksgiving this year - especially since I could document it all on Spread the Board.  But a change in plans had me going from hostess to diner, joining my husband at his parent's house for Turkey Day.  Although just a bit dissapointed that I wasn't able to share any I-set-off-every-fire-alarm-in-our-house-and-the-dog-won't-come-back-inside story with you all, I was quite happy joining as a guest and ended up just as full as if I cooked it all myself! 

So I'm sharing with you today, the recipe I used with all the leftover turkey we took home!  Enjoy!

Vietnamese Turkey Lettuce Wraps
Inspired by a Weight Watchers cookbook recipe

Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups cooked turkey, chopped into 2 inch strips
  • 1 Bibb/Butter lettuce head
  • 1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
  • 1 cucumber, cut into matchsticks
  • 6 green onions, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 1 cup dry rice
  • 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon or 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup cilantro, chopped
  • 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons fish sauce (Thai or Vietnamese)
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup water

Directions:
  1. Cook rice according to package directions, using either chicken broth or adding bouillon to water before boiling.
  2. Add rice vinegar to carrots, celery and green onions in bowl and set aside.  Let marinate for 20 minutes.
  3. Make sauce by combining fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar, lime juice and water.
  4. To assemble, take a leaf of lettuce, add warm rice, turkey, cilantro, peanuts and sauce. 
A Word of Caution - it's messy but so worth it! 
A Word of Recommendation - What we didn't eat, we assembled into a salad for lunch the next day.  Andrew told me it was "the best salad he's ever had"... now, he doesn't eat a lot of salads, so keep that in mind, but good to know nonetheless!


No comments: